Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi speaks to the media in Delhi
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said on Friday that Tehran had “received information from the United States seeking to continue negotiations.”Click here for live updates on the US-Iraq WarAraghchi made the remarks at a press conference held on the sidelines of the BRICS Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in New Delhi.“The suggestion that the United States rejected the Iranian proposal or that Iran rejected the U.S. proposal relates to a few days ago when Mr. Trump tweeted that this was unacceptable,” Araghchi told reporters, referring to Tehran’s response to the U.S. proposal that called for a cessation of hostilities pending negotiations on contentious issues including Iran’s nuclear program.“But since then, we have again received messages from the Americans expressing their willingness to continue negotiations and maintain engagement,” the Islamic Republic’s top diplomat added.Trump dismissed Iran’s response as “garbage” and said ceasefireEffective April 8, “requires extensive life support” and is “incredibly weak”.“After reading that piece of garbage they sent us, I think it’s the weakest right now. I didn’t even finish reading it,” Trump told reporters earlier this week.Also read: Trump calls US-Iran ceasefire “life-sustaining”; calls Tehran’s latest proposal “garbage”Araghchi, meanwhile, said Iran “does not trust the Americans” and accused Washington of turning to diplomacy after failing to achieve its goals through military pressure.“Now, after 40 days of war, when America’s aggression against Iran has no hope of achieving anything, they are offering to negotiate,” he noted. “We don’t trust the Americans. That’s a major obstacle to any diplomatic effort. We have every reason to distrust the Americans, and they have every reason to distrust us.”Araghchi called the ceasefire “very unstable” and insisted Tehran was still trying to maintain it to leave room for diplomacy.“We are now in a ceasefire, although it is unstable. But we are trying to maintain it to give diplomacy a chance,” he stressed. “There is no military solution to anything related to Iran. They have tested us time and time again. We have never succumbed to any pressure or threats. We also resist any sanctions. The Iranian people respond only with the language of respect,” he added.The war in the Middle East began on February 28 when the United States and Israel jointly attacked Iran. The two sides subsequently held high-stakes talks in Islamabad, Pakistan, on April 11 and 12, but failed to achieve a breakthrough.

