Marco Rubio vs. J.D. Vance in 2028? Trump’s next ‘MAGA’ succession battle may have begun

Published:

The early rivalry between Marco Rubio and Marco Rubio JD Vance for a possible 2028 presidential race is starting to gain traction, giving Republican voters a first taste of what the next race might look like.

Marco Rubio and JD Vance are emerging as early favorites for MAGA in 2028. (X/@RedLineReportt)
Marco Rubio and JD Vance are emerging as early favorites for MAGA in 2028. (X/@RedLineReportt)

Rubio, 54, and Vance, 41, have recently taken turns hosting White House press briefings while press secretary Carolyn Leavitt is on maternity leave, The Sun reports. What started as fill-in duties quickly turned into a monumental moment for two of the biggest names in the MAGA movement.

president donald trump It also increased people’s speculation. At last week’s Rose Garden dinner, Trump asked the crowd: “Who likes J.D. Vance?” and “Who likes Marco Rubio?” Both questions earned loud applause from attendees.

Trump later described the pair as a “dream team” and even suggested they could be on “The Perfect Ticket” together in 2028. But he also made it clear, “This does not mean you will have my support under any circumstances,” Reuters reported.

When reporters later asked Trump whose White House briefing performance he preferred, he didn’t pick a favorite. “I think they’re all doing a great job,” Trump said. “Both are very good people.”

Also read: Tiger Woods ‘shocked’ by girlfriend Vanessa Trump’s breast cancer diagnosis: report

Rubio and Vance showed two completely close ways on the podium

The two men looked very different behind the podium, and political analysts were watching closely. Christy Setzer, political and communications strategist at New Heights Communications, a public affairs firm based in Washington, D.C. the sun These briefings are the “perfect window” into how their 2028 candidacy differs.

Rubio took the podium for the first time on May 5 and came across as calm, polished and comfortable with the media. “Rubio acted like he was not threatened by questions from the media and even welcomed them,” Setzer told The Sun, noting that his performance was reminiscent of the Republican Party before Trump’s MAGA era. “It’s a shockingly low standard, but years after Trump and Carolyn Leavitt took the podium, it’s shocking to hear a Republican presidential candidate thank reporters for their questions and provide nuanced explanations,” she said.

“That’s what party donors and ‘norms’ like about him, that while he embraces Trump’s goals, he’s a throwback to non-Make America Great Again Republicans.” Rubio’s team even turned his briefing answers into a campaign-style video in which he said he wants America to be a place “where anyone, anywhere can achieve any goal.” Reuters.

Vance took the podium on Tuesday and went in a completely different direction. According to The Sun, he tends to have a Trumpian style, which is aggressive, combative and unapologetic. “He’s combative, sarcastic, hates the media, and I think the base has bought into it,” Setzer told The Sun. “That’s what he’s banking on in the 2028 campaign, that ‘having freedom’ is going to be more important than policy mandates. When push comes to shove, I think the party’s base will support JD.”

The pair also brought a touch of humor to the chaos of the crowded briefing room. on may 5 During a meeting on Sunday, Vance jokingly mocked Rubio when he pointed at the wrong person and said, “You’re wearing black,” before quickly correcting himself, “Not you. You’re not wearing black, you’re wearing blue! I’m color blind, but I know blue and black.” When he took the stage two weeks later, Vance quipped, “I have my cheat sheet here, so I know who to call on and, most importantly, who not to call on,” the Sun reported.

Also read: Aimee Bock: 5 things you need to know about the woman behind $250 million Feed Our Future fraud

Rubio, Vance publicly refute 2028 comments as speculation grows

Despite growing speculation about a 2028 presidential run, both Marco Rubio and J.D. Vance have publicly tried to avoid talking about future campaigns.

When a reporter called Vance a “potential future candidate,” Vance quickly dismissed a question about a possible White House run, Reuters reported.

“I’m not a potential future candidate. I’m the vice president and I really enjoy my job and I’m going to do it as well as I can,” Vance said.

Meanwhile, Rubio has publicly praised Vance and even hinted that he would support him in the future.

“JD is a very good friend of mine. JD is running for president and I think he’s going to be a phenomenal candidate. I’ve said it publicly and I’ll say it again, I’m going to be the first to sign and endorse him,” Rubio told NBC News, according to The Sun. “I think JD is going to do a great job.”

When asked if he would serve as Vance’s running mate, Rubio avoided a direct answer.

“I want to be secretary of state and I’m going to worry about the future. I’m not going to tell you that’s my goal. I’ve been doing this for a long time. I’ve been in the Senate since 2010,” Rubio said.

WEB DESK TEAM
WEB DESK TEAMhttps://articles.thelocalreport.in
Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img