BENGALURU: Under pressure from the Left-sectarian Scheduled Caste (SC) community and its two ministers, the Siddaramaiah-led Congress government in Karanataka has decided to revisit its earlier decision to fill 56,432 government posts without internal reservation. The Cabinet is expected to consider the issue of introducing internal reservation on a proportional basis within the existing 15% SC quota in its meeting on Thursday.A few days ago, Governor Thaawar Chand Gehlot approved the Karnataka Scheduled Caste Subdivision Bill, 2025, which provides for internal quotas among scheduled caste communities. The bill, passed in December last year, proposed to increase the overall reservation rate in SCs from 15% to 17% and distribute it to 101 SC communities. Gehlot’s agreement came in the wake of protests by job seekers in Dharwad, who demanded that the government fill nearly 2.5 lakh vacancies in various departments. Recruitment has been largely frozen since October 2024 to facilitate an internal quota system. Under the 17% structure in the bill signed by Grote, the left (16 communities) will get 6% under category A, the right (19 communities) will get 6% under category B and 63 communities will get 5% under category C. Adi Andhra, Adi Dravida and Adi Karnataka groups can choose to be reserved under Category A or Category B.But this matrix violates the 50 per cent cap on total reservation imposed by the Supreme Court and a disputed case is pending in the courts. Therefore, the government issued a notification to fill 56,432 posts under the existing 15% SC quota and clarified that the increased 17% quota will be implemented in recruitment only after the court’s decision. This triggered a strong reaction from stakeholders.
Iranian flag and ‘Property of Allah’ on suspect’s clothes: Shooting in US that kills Indian-American student
New information emerges after a fatal shooting at a crowded bar in Austin, Texas, reportedly left three people dead, including a 21-year-old man Indian-American student Savitha Shan.

While police have not yet identified a motive behind the shooting, possible links to Iran have emerged. According to the Associated Press, citing law enforcement officials, the gunman was identified as 53-year-old Ndiaga Diagne. He was wearing clothes with an Iranian flag pattern and the words “Property of Allah” at the time of the shooting.
Savitha Shan was one of three victims of the shooting, the other two were identified as 19-year-old Ryder Harrington and 30-year-old Jorge Pederson.
What was the shooter’s motive?
Violence erupted on Sixth Street, a nightlife hub full of bars and clubs not far from the flagship campus of the University of Texas system, on Sunday when a gunman opened fire after driving through a Buford backyard beer garden.
Students, who made up a large portion of the crowd at the scene, took cover and ran to save themselves as the suspect opened fire on others with a rifle before being shot and killed by police.
However, the motive behind the shooting remains unclear, with both the FBI and Austin police saying it’s too early to know for sure.
According to University President Jim Davis, the handgun and rifle used in Ndiaga Diagne’s shooting were purchased legally by him in San Antonio several years ago.
Who is Savitha Shan?
Savitha Shan, Indian-American One of the victims of the fatal shooting was a 21-year-old management information systems and economics student at the University of Texas.
A professor at the McCombs School of Business described her as one of the “superstar students” and said she will graduate this May. “Involved in student organizations – a light in the classroom. Losing her is absolutely heartbreaking,” said Russ Finney, assistant professor in the College of Business, in a post on X.
Meanwhile, the gunman is reportedly from Senegal and arrived in the United States in 2000 on a B-2 tourist visa. He became a legal permanent resident six years after marrying an American, the Associated Press reported.
Sindhu’s Swiss Open in doubt after All England; BWF waives $5,000 fine
New Delhi: Two-time Olympic medalist PV Sindhu He has been stranded in Dubai since February 28 as the airspace in West Asia was closed due to the escalating conflict in the region, and later returned to India. As a result, she had to miss the All England badminton tournament, which starts in Birmingham on Tuesday.Push boundaries with our YouTube channel. Subscribe now!On Tuesday, Sindhu informed that she may also miss the Yonex Swiss Open, a Super 300 event scheduled to be held in Basel from March 10 to 15 due to reduced flight operations in the Gulf and shortage of tickets on most airlines. The tournament prize money is USD 250,000 (approximately Rs. 2.1 Cr).“Swiss Open is definitely a target. But as I said, all flights are full. I am trying to book myself on one of the flights every day but there are no tickets available. Everything is going through Dubai and that is a challenge. We all know there are risks in taking the Dubai route. Let’s see what happens in the next few days,” Sindhu said during a media interaction facilitated by SAI.“I am looking for options but nothing has come of it so far. I also have to consider my coach (Indonesian Irwansyah Adi Pratama) and his safety.” Sindhu said the Badminton World Federation had waived the $5,000 fine she had been slapped with for missing the All England, acknowledging the unusual circumstances. However, prior to the season involving CWG, there was discussion about her potential loss of ranking points, Asian Games With the World Championships underway due to “extraordinary circumstances”, Sindhu expected an amicable solution.“The BWF has rules for top players to miss Super 1000 or Super 750 matches. If BWF can’t find a valid reason, they will fine the player $5,000. I wrote an email to BWF from Dubai. They understood my situation as this was probably the first time something like this happened and exempted me from the penalty. This was a relief to me.“Regarding the ranking points, they asked me to send a collaborative email detailing my situation. I am waiting for their reply. They will convey the decision within a day,” said Sindhu, who is also a member of the BWF Athletes’ Committee.“I just pray this is the first and last time I go through something like this. It’s going to be hard (to forget). You train so hard and then something completely out of your control stops you from competing in a big event.”
Ravi Shankar appointed Chairman of Lok Sabha Privileges Committee
New Delhi: Speaker of Lok Sabha About Birla The Privileges Committee was established, a key panel of the House of Representatives tasked with investigating complaints against MPs for breaches of privilege and could even recommend their expulsion.Member of the Bharatiya Janata Party Ravi Shankar Prasad will lead the 15-member committee, eight of whom are from the NDP and the remainder from the Opposition. Congress MPs Manish Tewari and Manickam Tagore, TMC’s Kalyan Banerjee and DMK’s TR Baalu, and the BJP’s Brijmohan Agrawal and Jagdambika Pal are among its members.It is up to the Speaker to decide which privilege infringement notices are sent to committees. The Bharatiya Janata Party’s Nishikant Dubey has lodged a complaint against Congress MP Rahul Gandhi, accusing him of trying to destabilize the country. Birla is yet to respond.


