Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
Subscribe
Close

Search

US vs ICC row escalates: Trump administration sanctions international court president, senior lawyer
TRENDING

US vs ICC row escalates: Trump administration sanctions international court president, senior lawyer

By WEB DESK TEAM
August 19, 2026 2 Min Read
Comments Off on US vs ICC row escalates: Trump administration sanctions international court president, senior lawyer
US vs ICC row escalates: Trump administration sanctions international court president, senior lawyer
Trump administration sanctioned ICC president Tomoko Akane

The United States on Tuesday imposed sanctions on International Criminal Court president Tomoko Akane and senior trial lawyer Abdoulaye Seye, in the latest escalation of the Trump administration’s campaign against the Hague-based court.US secretary of state Marco Rubio said the sanctions were imposed under an executive order signed by President Donald Trump last year. Akane, a Japanese judge, heads the ICC, while Seye, a Senegalese national, is a senior trial lawyer on the prosecution team that sought an arrest warrant for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. He has also been nominated for election as an ICC judge.“These individuals have directly engaged in efforts by the ICC to investigate, arrest, detain, or prosecute officials whose government has not consented to ICC jurisdiction,” Rubio said, as quoted by Reuters.The ICC condemned the sanctions, saying they threatened the international legal order. “When judicial actors are threatened for applying the law, it is the international legal order itself that is placed at risk,” the court said.The move has also put Washington at odds with European allies. Dutch Foreign Minister Tom Berendsen said the Netherlands, which hosts the ICC, disapproved of the sanctions and had invited Akane to discuss the country’s continued support for the court. “International courts and tribunals must be able to freely carry out their mandates,” Berendsen said.The latest sanctions freeze any US assets held by Akane and Seye and effectively cut them off from the US financial system. The US Treasury also issued a general licence allowing transactions involving the two officials to be wound down through September 17.The United States has never been a member of the ICC and has long opposed its jurisdiction over US officials. The court was established in 2002 to prosecute war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity. Under its statute, it can prosecute atrocity crimes committed on the territory of member states even when the accused is a national of a non-member country.The Trump administration has previously sanctioned several ICC prosecutors and judges over the court’s investigations and arrest warrants involving Netanyahu and former Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant, as well as its past investigation into US troops in Afghanistan.Trump has said the campaign is aimed at defending Netanyahu and others from prosecution. Rubio said last month that Washington would step up efforts to undermine the ICC, including by persuading other countries to leave the institution.Akane had warned in December that US sanctions could “rapidly undermine the court’s operations in all situations and cases, and jeopardize its very existence”.

Tags:

administrationcourtescalatesICCInternationallawyerpresidentrowsanctionsSeniortrumpus newsus top news
Author

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Democrat Angie Nixon defeats Alexander Vindman in surprise Florida Senate primary upset
Previous

Democrat Angie Nixon defeats Alexander Vindman in surprise Florida Senate primary upset

In 1831, Thornton and Lucie Blackburn escaped slavery in Kentucky and fled to Canada; 154 years later, archaeologists uncovered their lost home
Next

In 1831, Thornton and Lucie Blackburn escaped slavery in Kentucky and fled to Canada; 154 years later, archaeologists uncovered their lost home

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme