Gonda: What was supposed to be a regular domestic ranking series wrestling event in Uttar Pradesh’s Gonda district turned into one of the most politically charged and emotional events for Indian wrestling in recent times. Reason – a three-time Olympian and two-time world championship medalist – stood outside the Nandini Nagar Mahavidyalaya Indoor Hall on Monday afternoon. Vinesh FugatAfter returning from retirement, he directly stepped into the base camp of Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh, the former president of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI).But the comeback never officially began. Vinesh was denied entry to the Nandini Nagar Mahavidyalaya indoor hall complex in Nawabganj, the venue for the three-day conference, despite arriving at the venue with husband Somvir Rathee, private security personnel, former protest partners and around 50 supporters.
“What do you want me to do? Accept defeat? Should I leave the sanyas? So that their conspiracy against me succeeds? They won’t allow me to do that. They want to see me tire out and retire. All I ask for is a fair chance to play, but they insist that I reply to their notice first. This is all conspiracy,” she said after meeting WFI officials.Vinesh, who came out publicly as one of the six female wrestlers who accused Brigitte Bhushan of sexual harassment during the Jantar Mantar protests in 2023, announced the National Open Ranking Series as a springboard for her comeback on the road to the Los Angeles Olympics.Vinesh also dismissed accusations that her comeback was “politically motivated”. “You call me ‘tukde tukde gang’, then who are you (referring to Singh and WFI)? “I have dedicated 20 years to Indian wrestling. I gave my heart and soul to this sport. Athletes are under mental stress. I feel unsafe in this environment. They want me to retire so their plot will succeed. ” she claimed.But WFI remains unmoved. “WFI has issued a notice to her regarding five o’clock. We will not engage her until she responds to the accusations. “She remains banned for the duration of this tournament,” WFI president Sanjay Singh said.In the registration hall, Vinesh tried to complete the body verification for the weight category but was refused to proceed. She also later claimed she was banned from training at the indoor wrestling gym within the complex. However, federation officials said they were unaware of any such denial.The federation insists disciplinary proceedings against her are still pending and she remains banned from domestic competition until June 26, 2026. But Vinesh insisted that she had met all anti-doping and procedural requirements stipulated by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and World Wrestling (UWW).“I was informed on Saturday and didn’t have enough time to react properly because I was preparing for the competition and losing weight. They gave me 14 days to submit a detailed response, which I will certainly give. But my request is not to prevent me from competing during that time. “The confrontation further escalated when Vinesh posted on social media a confidential communication dated July 3, 2025, from the International Testing Agency (ITA), which is responsible for UWW’s anti-doping procedures. The email, sent by test official Estelle Daloz, made it clear she would be eligible to return to competition from January 1, 2026.“I had written permission from the ITA to compete from January 1, 2026. If I had violated any rule, then the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) would have given me a show-cause notice. Or they would have banned me. Or WADA would have given me a show-cause notice. I missed one. There were three of them. I had become a mother by then. I had a rally. I forgot to update. I even apologized to WADA for that. They gave me a clean bill. They told me I could participate in any international event,” she added.The Times of India had earlier reported that Vinesh had complied with the return procedures laid down by the UWW and the World Anti-Doping Agency and had submitted return-to-competition documents as early as June 2025. The wrestler revealed that she has undergone two anti-doping tests since announcing her comeback on December 18, 2025, and passed both times.The federation later issued a statement saying that Vinesh was fully covered from the moment she arrived at the venue. “In the presence of everyone present, she met with officials and was informed that she was not eligible to participate under existing rules and procedures. She interacted freely with the media without being blocked or interrupted anywhere, and she subsequently left the venue calmly.” She was provided with full security and support every step of the way from her arrival in Gonda to departure from the venue. ” the statement read.In search of a training venue ahead of the women’s weigh-in on Monday from 5 pm to 7 pm, Vinesh looked for the warm-up area inside the venue and found it locked, PTI added. “Ab Training bhi nahi kar sakti kya? Lock toh khulwa do kam se kam (I can’t even train now. At least open the lock),” she said in frustration.She then moved to the SAI Khelo India Center hoping to find mats for training, but there were none there either.“We’re doing everything we can, but they won’t let me wrestle. I’m risking my life and my spirit by coming here,” she said before leaving the field.Despite the setback, Vinesh insists she will keep fighting. “I work honestly and hard. God knows I am clean. If I am right, He will give me strength. We will fight for our rights,” she said. It is learned that Vinesh, Rathee and her team took a late-night flight from Lucknow to Delhi.

