Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
Subscribe
Close

Search

South Korea turns to China as Trump warms up to Kim
TRENDING

South Korea turns to China as Trump warms up to Kim

By WEB DESK TEAM
August 20, 2026 3 Min Read
Comments Off on South Korea turns to China as Trump warms up to Kim
South Korea turns to China as Trump warms up to Kim
Chinese FM Wang Yi arrived in Seoul amid Trump’s push to revive talks with Kim Jong Un, as US scales back joint drills with South Korea

Chinese foreign minister Wang Yi arrived in Seoul on Wednesday for talks with South Korean officials, as US President Donald Trump’s push to revive diplomacy with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un reshapes the security dynamics on the Korean Peninsula.Wang met South Korean foreign minister Cho Hyun shortly after arriving and is scheduled to meet President Lee Jae Myung on Thursday.The talks come just days after Trump ordered changes to the annual US-South Korea military exercises, saying he did so because of his “very good relationship” with Kim and signalling that he remains open to another meeting with the North Korean leader.The US and South Korea had been conducting the annual drills as a major show of military readiness against North Korea. The exercises, involving tens of thousands of troops, were scaled back amid Trump’s renewed outreach to Pyongyang. Trump has also been weighing how to manage US military commitments in the region as Washington remains heavily engaged in the war with Iran.The decision has drawn attention because the exercises have long been a key part of the US security commitment to South Korea.North Korea routinely condemns them as rehearsals for an invasion, while Seoul and Washington have maintained that they are defensive in nature.Against this backdrop, Wang’s Seoul visit gives Beijing a chance to push for a diplomatic solution while reinforcing its own role in Korean Peninsula affairs.China is North Korea’s only formal treaty ally, and Wang said Washington should change its “hostile policy” towards Pyongyang.China’s foreign ministry spokesperson Lin Jian said maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and promoting a political settlement were in the “common interests of all parties”.Wang also said China hoped South Korea and North Korea could gradually pursue opportunities for “peace and coexistence”, while expressing Beijing’s support for lasting stability and development on the peninsula.

Seoul seeks closer China ties

South Korea is simultaneously trying to strengthen its relationship with Beijing. Foreign minister Cho told Parliament that Seoul was pursuing a summit between Lee and Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the APEC summit in Shenzhen in November.Lee is expected to attend the APEC meeting and has proposed multilateral talks involving countries that were parties to the 1950-53 Korean War, with the aim of establishing lasting peace on the peninsula.Wang described South Korea as China’s “most important neighbouring country” and said Beijing would “make efforts that we rightfully should” to support stability.Cho said he hoped the restoration of South Korea-China relations would contribute to peace and stability across the region, including on the Korean Peninsula.

Trump’s Kim outreach changes security calculus

Trump’s decision to scale back the US-South Korea drills came as he signalled a renewed willingness to engage Kim, despite North Korea’s continued rejection of denuclearisation talks on terms previously sought by Washington.The exercises had involved roughly 39,000 US and South Korean troops, making them one of the most significant demonstrations of allied military readiness in the region. Their reduction has therefore been closely watched for what it could mean for US deterrence commitments to Seoul.North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, meanwhile said the reduction in the scale of the drills did not change their nature, with KCNA reporting that Pyongyang continued to view the exercises as a military threat.For South Korea, the diplomatic opening presents a complicated balancing act: Seoul wants to preserve its military alliance with Washington, improve relations with Beijing and simultaneously create space for dialogue with Pyongyang.Wang’s visit comes at precisely that intersection, with Trump reaching towards Kim, China urging dialogue and Seoul trying to keep all three relationships from colliding.

Tags:

ChinaKimkoreasouthtrumpturnsus newsus top newswarms
Author

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Follow Me
Other Articles
In 2015, a storm flooded and destroyed a Virginia wildlife refuge beach parking lot; now officials are moving it 2.5 miles north so dunes and saltmarsh can reclaim the old site
Previous

In 2015, a storm flooded and destroyed a Virginia wildlife refuge beach parking lot; now officials are moving it 2.5 miles north so dunes and saltmarsh can reclaim the old site

In 2016, an Indiana family bought a former bishop's residence with its own private chapel; after nine years restoring it, the century-old home is listed for $1.28 million
Next

In 2016, an Indiana family bought a former bishop’s residence with its own private chapel; after nine years restoring it, the century-old home is listed for $1.28 million

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme