Authorities investigating the fatal shooting at the Islamic Center in San Diego say two teenage suspects, identified as Kane Clark and Caleb Vazquez, allegedly left behind a 75-page manifesto filled with racist, anti-Semitic and anti-Islamic rhetoric while also mentioning mass killers, extremist ideologies and even Donald Trump. Three people were killed in the attack on Monday, with two suspects, aged 17 and 18, dying of apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds after fleeing the scene.
Federal investigators are treating the shooting as a possible hate crime.
“New Crusaders: Sons of Tarrant”
Citing law enforcement sources familiar with the investigation, the Los Angeles Times and other media publications said the documents recovered by authorities were titled “New Crusaders: Tarrant’s Sons,” an apparent reference to Brenton Tarrant, who killed 51 people in the 2019 Christchurch, New Zealand, mosque massacre.
Investigators told the publications that the articles glorified white supremacist violence and contained hate speech targeting Muslims, Jews, Black people, Latinos, women and the LGBTQ+ community.
The writings reportedly cite the so-called “Great Replacement Theory,” a conspiracy theory that claims the white population is being replaced by immigrants and minorities.
One article reportedly read: “I believe that accelerating the destruction of our current political system and engaging in all-out race war for the sake of social collapse is the only real path forward…”
Authorities also said the articles referenced previous extremist attacks, including the Poway, Calif., synagogue shooting.
FBI says suspects ‘did not discriminate against people they disliked’
Mark Ramili, the FBI agent in charge of the San Diego investigation, confirmed that authorities discovered writings related to extremist ideology. “These suspects are not discriminating against people they hate,” he said.
He added that investigators found “writings that outlined religious and ethnic beliefs about what they imagined the world should be like.”
Authorities are currently reviewing electronic devices, online activity and social media accounts to determine how the suspect became radicalized, according to investigators.
Officers also executed three search warrants and seized more than 30 firearms, ammunition, tactical equipment and a crossbow.
Writing mentions Trump and political violence
Documents circulating online and reviewed by multiple news organizations purportedly make numerous references to Trump and broader political extremism. In a section purportedly written by Vázquez, the author states: “Of course not on the left, and I’m not on the right, especially with Maga or Trump.”
Another section reportedly read: “You hate Trump so much? Then kill him! Don’t miss it this time. Or better yet, he’s on his way out. Get rid of Vance.”
Another section reportedly described Trump as a “Jewish shill.”
Although investigators confirmed that extremist writings had been found, authorities have yet to formally and publicly verify the manifesto.
Suspect suspected of live streaming attack
Law enforcement sources further told the outlet that authorities are reviewing a possible live video of the suspect wearing camouflage gear inside a BMW and wearing symbols associated with white supremacist ideology. One of the guns reportedly had hate speech allegedly written on it, while anti-Islamic writing was also found in a car linked to the suspect.
Officials believe the two met online before becoming radicalized together.
“But in terms of how radicalization occurs, we’re still digging into it,” Remili said.
Three victims hailed as heroes
The victims, Amin Abdullah, Mansour Qaziha and Nadir Awad, were praised by community leaders and police for helping to prevent a larger massacre. Police said Abdullah, a longtime security guard at the mosque, exchanged gunfire with the attackers and triggered a blockade that protected about 140 children inside the mosque’s school.
“None of our three victims died in vain,” Scott Wahl said. “If people’s attention had not been distracted and the actions of these two men had not been delayed… there is no doubt that many more people would have died yesterday.”
Imam Taha Hassan praised Abdullah’s action.
“If he hadn’t done what he did and sacrificed his life, these two suspects would have [had] Easy access to every classroom. “
Hassan called the three victims “our martyrs and heroes.”
Abdullah’s daughter, Hawaa Abdullah, emotionally described her father at a news conference.
“He was absolutely the best dad in the world,” she said. “He is my protector.”
“Whether you were Muslim, Jewish or of no faith. He didn’t care. He would treat you humanely,” she added. “I believe that’s the legacy he left behind. He wanted all of us to be better.”
Investigation continues after attack
Authorities said the shooting occurred at the mosque shortly before noon on Monday. Police later revealed that one suspect’s mother had contacted police earlier in the day after discovering the missing weapon and suicide note. She reportedly alerted police and her son left with another man wearing camouflage clothing.
As police investigated, the first reports of shootings at the mosque came in. The suspect fled and was later found dead in a car a few blocks away, police said.
Meanwhile, online fundraising campaigns for the victims’ families have raised millions of dollars to support funeral expenses, counseling, education and long-term family support.

