Kerala Blasters’ first ISL home match goes ahead as scheduled, but stadium rent dispute casts a pall over future matches | Football News

Published:

Kerala Blasters' first ISL home match goes ahead as scheduled, but stadium rental dispute casts a pall on future games
Photo credit: X/@KeralaBlasters

Kochi: Get ready kerala blastersIndian Super League (ISL) first home match of the new season vs. mumbai city football club The team was thrown into disarray on the eve of Saturday’s match after an unexpected face-off with the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA), which owns the Jawaharlal Nehru International Stadium in Kochi.The GCDA refused to allow pre-arranged pre-match press conferences to be held in the stadium, forcing the club to move interactions online at short notice.Later in the evening, tensions reportedly escalated when GCDA officials asked All India Football Federation (AIFF) personnel, including match commissioner Arunava Bhattacharya, to evacuate the venue. Authorities also allegedly ordered the closure of the club’s administrative offices operating within the stadium.Amid speculation that the game could be cancelled, the Blasters clarified in an evening statement that the game would go ahead as planned. “In the end, football is the winner. Tomorrow we take on Mumbai City FC at the stadium in our first home match of the season,” the club said.However, sources close to the management said that the understanding only applies to the first game and the arrangements for the remaining home games are unclear.The uncertainty stems from a dispute over stadium rent and pending payments.Last week, GCDA chairman K Chandran Pillai announced at a joint press conference with club officials that a one-time franchise fee of Rs 2 lakh would be charged this season instead of Rs 8 lakh collected in previous seasons.However, the authority’s executive committee meeting on Thursday reportedly overturned the decision and fixed the rent at Rs 4.20 lakh per match.In addition to the adjusted matchday rent, the GCDA is said to have asked the Blasters to pay off the full amount within a week and pay an additional Rs 2.2 million in liability fees for last season.According to sources within the club, the amount in dispute relates to losses and additional expenses incurred during the Bharatanatyam event held at the stadium in December last year.“They asked us to pay the fee as the incident occurred in the middle of the season. Why should we take responsibility for an event that has nothing to do with us? “The source said.TOI contacted GCDA officials but could not reach them for comment.The confrontation played out publicly earlier in the day, with GCDA security asking reporters to leave a hall designated for pre-match press conferences before cordoning off the venue. Blasters head coach David Katara and midfielder Rolin Borges reportedly waited more than 30 minutes before leaving until it was clear the situation did not allow further interaction.Subsequently, the club held a media briefing online. During the meeting, Katara was pointedly asked by a reporter: “Which is your home court?”The Spaniard focuses on football. He said his first priority was getting the team ready and playing in front of supporters at the stadium. Despite the uncertainty off the field, he is confident the game will go ahead at the venue.For now, Blasters’ home opener is set to go ahead as planned, but the rental dispute remains unresolved, casting a pall over their remaining matches in the ISL.

WEB DESK TEAM
WEB DESK TEAMhttps://articles.thelocalreport.in
Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img