Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
Subscribe
Close

Search

Exclusive-Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say
TRENDING

Exclusive-Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say

By WEB DESK TEAM
August 20, 2026 3 Min Read
Comments Off on Exclusive-Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say

By Timour Azhari and Rami Ayyub

Exclusive-Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say
Exclusive-Mossad chief, Syrian foreign minister discussed Turkish military deployments before strikes, sources say

Aug 19 – The head of Israel’s spy agency held a phone call with Syria’s foreign minister last week during which they discussed Turkey’s military presence in Syria, three people familiar with the matter said, just days before Israel bombed a Syrian airbase. The August 14 call between Mossad spy agency chief Roman Gofman and Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani is one of the highest-level contacts yet between Israel and the Damascus administration led by President Ahmed al-Sharaa. The Israeli prime minister’s office, which handles queries regarding Mossad, did not immediately respond to a request for comment, nor did a spokesperson for Shaibani. After Israel attacked the Abu al-Duhur airbase on Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that Damascus was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy there, and had ignored Israel’s repeated warnings that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. The sources said the issue of Turkish military support for Syria dominated Gofman’s call with Shaibani four days earlier. The call centred on “Israeli inquiries about what was doing in terms of increasing their military presence, as well as the sale of weapons, provision of drones and other issues”, one of the sources said. A second source, a senior official, said Gofman used the call to ask about Turkey’s provision of arms to Syria’s army. A third source familiar with the matter confirmed the call took place, saying that they discussed Turkey’s military presence in Syria. Turkey’s defence ministry declined to comment and its foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

NETANYAHU WARNS OVER TURKEY-SYRIA TIES Turkey has emerged as a close ally of the Sharaa administration since Bashar al-Assad was toppled in 2024, having backed rebels during the Syrian civil war, stirring concern in Israel about rising Turkish sway on its northern frontier.

Sharaa, who has established close ties with Washington, said in July that Syria was seeking to reach a security agreement with Israel and trying to involve a large group of countries to pressure Israel to adopt a more balanced policy towards his country. Netanyahu, in a video posted on X on Wednesday, said Israel “will not tolerate a Turkish military establishment in Syria that threatens Israel”. “We made it clear to Turkey — Don’t. Apparently they didn’t hear the message, so we made sure they understood it better,” he said, in an apparent reference to the airstrikes. The Turkish presidency on Wednesday rejected what it called “untenable allegations” by Israel regarding its military position in Syria, saying Israel aimed to legitimise its “unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria’s sovereignty and territorial integrity”. Turkey would “continue to cooperate with the Syrian Government on a legitimate basis for the establishment of peace, stability, and prosperity”, it said, without referring to any potential deployment plans. Tom Barrack, the U.S. ambassador to Turkey and special envoy for Syria and Iraq, said on Tuesday the Israeli strikes were “an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability”.

Tags:

chiefdeploymentsdiscussedExclusiveMossadforeignmilitaryministersourcesstrikesSyrianTurkishus newsus top news
Author

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Lindsay Clancy sits in court with her attorney Kevin Redinngton during her murder trial Wednesday, Aug. 19. (Amanda Sabga/Pool The Boston Her)
Previous

Lindsay Clancy trial: Why did judge ‘abruptly’ end Wednesday’s court session? New details emerge

Pia Dandiya won Florida’s Democratic primary and will face Republican Casey Askar in the November congressional election. (Pia Dandiya/X)
Next

Indian American Pia Dandiya’s first reaction after Democratic primary win in Florida; ‘It is my dream…’

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme