Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
Subscribe
Close

Search

Swiss tourist gets 1-year jail in Bali for mocking Hindu festival, calling tradition ‘crazy’
TRENDING

Swiss tourist gets 1-year jail in Bali for mocking Hindu festival, calling tradition ‘crazy’

By WEB DESK TEAM
August 22, 2026 2 Min Read
Comments Off on Swiss tourist gets 1-year jail in Bali for mocking Hindu festival, calling tradition ‘crazy’
Swiss tourist gets 1-year jail in Bali for mocking Hindu festival, calling tradition ‘crazy’
Swiss tourist Luzian Andrin Zgraggen. (AP Photo)

A Swiss tourist has been sentenced to one year in prison in Bali for mocking the Hindu festival Nyepi, also known as the Day of Silence, after posting videos on Instagram showing himself violating restrictions during the sacred observance.Luzian Andrin Zgraggen, 26, was found guilty by the Denpasar District Court of violating Indonesia’s new criminal code. The court said he posted the videos even after staff at the villa where he was staying had informed him about the restrictions in place during Nyepi.According to the Associated Press, Zgraggen had filmed himself walking to a beach during the festival and described the tradition as “crazy”, while also using an expletive.The posts were widely shared on social media, triggering outrage among Balinese residents.Authorities later traced Zgraggen and arrested him at a villa in Legian, a popular tourist area near Kuta Beach.The court said his actions offended Balinese people, hurt their faith and caused public outrage.

What is Nyepi, Bali’s Hindu Day of Silence?

Nyepi is a sacred Hindu festival marking the Balinese New Year. For 24 hours, Bali largely comes to a standstill, with residents and visitors required to remain indoors and observe silence.Travel, work and public entertainment are restricted, while the use of electricity is also discouraged. Bali’s airport shuts down and internet access is switched off during the observance. The restrictions apply to everyone on the island, regardless of their religion or nationality.

Tourist says he did not intend to insult Hindu festival

During his trial, which began in June, Zgraggen said he had not intended to insult Nyepi or the Balinese people. He said he made the posts while hungry and frustrated because he could not get food during the shutdown and claimed he had not fully understood the extent of the restrictions.“I deeply regret what I did, I apologise to the Balinese people,” Zgraggen said in his defence plea, as quoted by news agency AP.The offence carries a maximum sentence of five years under Indonesian law. The court, however, took into account his young age and good behaviour while determining the one-year sentence.Swiss authorities have said they are providing consular support to Zgraggen and are in contact with the relevant Indonesian authorities.Foreign and domestic tourists have previously been detained for violating Nyepi restrictions, although such cases have generally been resolved without prosecution.

Tags:

1yearBalicallingcrazyfestivalHindujailmockingSwisstouristtraditionus newsus top news
Author

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Man claims Meta fired him after he refused to sign a Green Card letter for a Chinese visa worker, seeks $1 million in lawsuit
Previous

Man claims Meta fired him after he refused to sign a Green Card letter for a Chinese visa worker, seeks $1 million in lawsuit

In 2003, Chicago’s mayor sent bulldozers to carve six giant Xs into an airport runway overnight, stranding 16 planes; 12 years later, the former airfield reopened with 40 acres of prairie, wetlands and wildlife habitat
Next

In 2003, Chicago’s mayor sent bulldozers to carve six giant Xs into an airport runway overnight, stranding 16 planes; 12 years later, the former airfield reopened with 40 acres of prairie, wetlands and wildlife habitat

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme