Skip to content
-
Subscribe to our newsletter & never miss our best posts. Subscribe Now!
  • https://www.facebook.com/
  • https://twitter.com/
  • https://t.me/
  • https://www.instagram.com/
  • https://youtube.com/
THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

THE_LOCAL_REPORT_ARTICLES_LOGO THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES

Trusted Indian news delivering fast, factual, and in-depth coverage of politics, business, society, and stories that truly matter

  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
  • TRENDING
  • INDIA
  • SPORTS
  • TECH
  • UK
  • WORLD
Subscribe
Close

Search

Rescue mission is called off for NASA's aging Swift space telescope
TRENDING

Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

By WEB DESK TEAM
August 20, 2026 2 Min Read
Comments Off on Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

CE CANAVERAL, Fla. — The mission to save NASA’s sinking Swift Observatory was called off Wednesday, dooming the telescope to a fiery reentry later this year.

Rescue mission is called off for NASA's aging Swift space telescope
Rescue mission is called off for NASA’s aging Swift space telescope

NASA and Katalyst Space Technologies announced the news more than a month after the startup’s Link spacecraft rocketed away to the telescope’s rescue.

Katalyst said Link will not attempt to capture Swift and boost it to a higher orbit because of problems with controlling the spacecraft. NASA said this means the telescope will plunge through the atmosphere after more than 20 years of tracking some of the biggest explosions in the universe like gamma ray bursts and exploding stars.

NASA paid $30 million to Katalyst in an attempt to raise the telescope to a safer, longer-lasting orbit. Intense solar activity caused it to lose altitude faster than expected. The rescue spacecraft went into an uncontrollable spin a few weeks after its liftoff in early July. While flight controllers managed to slow Link’s tumble, issues continued to plague its pointing and positioning in orbit.

“This is not the outcome we were working toward, but it does not change why this mission was worth attempting,” NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman said in a statement.

As a consolation prize, Katalyst will continue to operate Link in proximity with the telescope to demonstrate capabilities for future rescue operations.

Katalyst CEO Ghonhee Lee said it was an ambitious mission on an aggressive timeline that was thrown together in under a year .

“We took on this high-risk, high-reward challenge and are proud of the milestones we reached along the way,” Lee said in a statement. “We have already learned a tremendous amount.”

Launched in 2004, Swift’s science instruments were turned off earlier this year to slow its descent. It was orbiting 216 miles high as of last week.

NASA’s Hubble Space Telescope could benefit from an orbital boost and had been next in line for a rescue attempt had this mission gone well. The 36-year-old Hubble is also dropping in orbit because of all the sun’s recent outbursts. It wasn’t immediately known whether Hubble is now out of luck.

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. The is solely responsible for all content.

This article was generated from an automated news agency feed without modifications to text.

Tags:

agingcalledmissionNASA039srescuespaceSwifttelescopeus newsus top news
Author

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Follow Me
Other Articles
Forecasters warn another tropical system could be brewing southeast of Hawaii after Lala left 2 dead
Previous

Forecasters warn another tropical system could be brewing southeast of Hawaii after Lala left 2 dead

Indian nationals face challenges under stricter immigration policies (AI generated image)
Next

Indian on H-1B visa feels ‘burned out’ in US, says ‘would really like to go back’ after ‘high-stress FAANG job’

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • CORRECTION POLICY
  • Home
  • Privacy Policy
  • TERMS AND CONDITIONS
  • Terms of Use
Copyright 2026 — THE LOCAL REPORT ARTICLES. All rights reserved. Blogsy WordPress Theme