USS Nimitz: Another military action coming? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

Published:

Another military operation is about to happen? USS Nimitz enters Caribbean amid US-Cuba tensions

The USS Nimitz aircraft carrier and its strike group have entered the Caribbean Sea as tensions escalate between Washington and Havana.The deployment comes as U.S. President Donald Trump steps up rhetoric against Cuba and hints at possible action against the island nation.The carrier battle group includes the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Nimitz, Carrier Air Wing 17 equipped with F/A-18E Super Hornets, EA-18G Growlers and C-2A Greyhounds, as well as the destroyer USS Gridley and the supply tanker USS Patuxent.U.S. Southern Command (Southcom), which oversees U.S. military operations in the Caribbean and Latin America, confirmed the deployment on Wednesday.“The USS Nimitz has proven its warfighting capabilities around the world, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf,” Southern Command said in a post on X.

After Trump’s comments Raul Castro indictment

The deployment comes shortly after the U.S. Justice Department formally charged former Cuban President Raul Castro in connection with the 1996 downing of two civilian planes operated by the exile group Brothers to the Rescue.Trump said the administration had “continued to keep an eye on” Cuba after the indictments were released. “This is very important,” he said, adding that it was “a very important moment” for Cuban Americans and those who want to be reunited with their families in Cuba.The indictment accuses Castro of ordering the shooting down of two unarmed civilian aircraft over international waters in 1996, killing four people. Charges include murder and destruction of an aircraft.“For nearly 30 years, the families of four murdered Americans have been waiting for justice,” Acting U.S. Attorney General Todd Branch said in Miami.

U.S. steps up pressure on Cuba

The Trump administration has steadily increased pressure on Havana in recent months with sanctions, diplomatic pressure and warnings of possible action.U.S. authorities recently captured former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, further raising concerns in Cuba.CIA Director John Ratcliffe met with Cuban officials in Havana last week and warned that the window for negotiations “will not remain open indefinitely.”U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, a Cuban-American, also issued a Spanish-language message supporting the U.S. fuel blockade on Cuba while blaming the Cuban government for repeated blackouts and economic hardship.

Cuba faces severe economic crisis

Cuba is facing serious economic problems, characterized by fuel shortages, food shortages and widespread power outages. However, Trump has tried to downplay concerns about a direct military escalation.“The situation is not going to escalate. I don’t think it’s necessary. Look, this place is falling apart. It’s a mess and they’ve lost control,” Trump said.The USS Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, recently participated in joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy near Rio de Janeiro before entering the Caribbean.

WEB DESK TEAM
WEB DESK TEAMhttps://articles.thelocalreport.in
Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Related articles

Recent articles

spot_img