presidential expenses donald trump The pet project to transform the East Wing of the White House into the Grand Ballroom has generated much controversy. The controversy has escalated over the past few weeks after news emerged that the actual cost of preparing the ballroom could be 700% higher than Trump originally proposed.
With the construction of the White House washington d.c. The project suffered a setback late Saturday when the Senate Budget Committee rejected a Republican proposal for $1 billion in public funds for security upgrades.
The Republican-demanded overhaul of the East Wing, expected to cost $1.4 billion, has divided America. But photos and videos from the White House show put up It’s been going full tilt.
In fact, construction work has been in full swing since the court-imposed construction stop order was granted on April 18. The ballroom is expected to be completed in September 2028.
But while Trump has grand plans for the ballroom, the sheer cost involved has been harshly criticized by Americans, especially given the spike in natural gas prices caused by the Iran conflict. While Democrats have long opposed it, even some Republicans are now expressing skepticism about dance halls.
Also read: Trump speaks to Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu as US considers new strikes against Iran
What’s the budget for Trump’s East Wing project?
When Trump first proposed building the White House Ballroom by demolishing the East Wing, he projected the total cost would be about $200 million, which would be paid for by private donors with ties to him.
But months later, Trump made changes BudgetThe total cost of the White House Ballroom increased by 100% to a revised estimate of $400 million. However, it appeared at the time that even the increased costs would be paid for by Trump’s donors.
However, it all came crashing down last week when news broke that Senate Republicans were demanding $1 billion in taxpayer money for security tweaks and upgrades inside new buildings. That brings the total construction cost to $1.4 billion, 700% more than Trump originally proposed.
Also read: Trump issues stern warning to Iran to accept peace deal
Senate says Byrd rule violation
But on Saturday, the Senate Budget Committee rejected the bill, saying it violated Byrd’s rules. The Hill ReportRep. Elizabeth MacDonald, a non-partisan senator, said the bill violated the Byrd Rule, citing Sen. Jeff Merkley.
“Congressmen’s recommendations are based on whether a provision is appropriate for reconciliation and consistent with the limitations of the Byrd Rule; rather than a judgment about the relative merits of a particular policy,” Senator Merkley wrote in a statement.
Notably, House Republicans are not directly pursuing ballroom funding. They warned of it as part of a $72 billion immigration enforcement funding package.

