Categories: WORLD

Why Trump is defending the Iran deal Republicans call a ‘disaster’

president donald trump Backing the peace deal his government is striking with Iran, even though some of his own party members say it looks too weak. Trump said late Saturday that the deal had been “largely negotiated” after talks with Gulf leaders and other U.S. allies in the region. On Sunday, he said negotiations “are proceeding in an orderly and constructive manner” and that “time is on our side.” He also stated that he Iran Becoming “a more professional and productive person.”

As Iran peace talks progress, Trump pushes back against Republican criticism. (AFP)

Hard-line Republicans were quick to express strong opposition, arguing that the deal did not go far enough, especially because it did not immediately address Iran’s nuclear program, which was one of the reasons the White House launched war in February.

Why are some Republicans alarmed?

Critics within Trump’s own party compared the impending deal to the Obama-era nuclear deal, a comparison that clearly angered the president. former secretary-general Country Mike Pompeo says According to Newsweek , the deal is “not America first at all” and appears to be taken from his predecessor’s “playbook.”

Sen. Roger Wicker, chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, calls rumored 60-day ceasefire ‘a disaster’ on X post and warned that “everything achieved by Operation Epic Fury will be lost.”

South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham is one of the war’s strongest supporters write on X Such an agreement could lead to “a major shift in the balance of power in the region, which over time would become a nightmare for Israel.”

Trump fired back fiercely. He wrote on Truth Social that the 2015 agreement reached by the Obama administration, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), was “a direct path for Iran to develop nuclear weapons. The deal the Trump administration is currently negotiating with Iran is not that, in fact, quite the opposite!”

Also read: Marco Rubio vs. J.D. Vance in 2028? Trump’s next ‘MAGA’ succession battle may have begun

What exactly is in the deal and what is Iran saying?

According to the New York TimesA key part of the proposed deal is Iran’s explicit commitment to hand over its stockpile of highly enriched uranium, a long-term U.S. goal. Two U.S. officials confirmed this, although specifics on how Iran would give up its stockpiles have been left to a future round of negotiations.

U.S. negotiators made it clear Iran Through intermediaries, they would walk away and resume military operations if there was no prior agreement on the stockpile, The Times reported. According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iran currently possesses approximately 970 pounds of uranium enriched to 60%.

According to Reuters, the framework will be carried out in three stages: a formal end to the war, de-escalation in the Strait of Hormuz, and a 30-day negotiation window. The extension of the 60-day ceasefire also allows Iran to sell oil without restrictions, Axios reported. However, Iranian media dismissed Trump’s optimism, with the Fars news agency calling his claims about a deal “incomplete and inconsistent with reality.” newsweek.

Also read: Trump approval rating: Costs rising, Iran war taking toll on US president months before midterm elections – new poll

A senior Iranian source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, also told Reuters that Tehran had not made any commitments about its nuclear stockpile, adding that “the nuclear issue will be resolved during negotiations on the final deal and therefore is not part of the current deal.”

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio told a news conference that “significant progress” had been made, but told reporters there was still “work to do,” adding that “in the next few hours, the world may get some good news about the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.”

A quick resolution would also benefit Trump politically as Brent crude prices have soared from $60 a barrel at the start of the year to more than $120 during the escalation of the war, with GasBuddy analyst Patrick De Haan warning that oil prices “could surge next week” if a deal is not reached, Newsweek reported.

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Recent Posts

Bystander seriously injured in fatal shooting near White House checkpoint

A bystander was shot and killed by a U.S. Secret Service officer on Sunday after a man opened fire at…

21 minutes ago

‘He was never violent’: White House shooter Nasir Best’s mother breaks silence after watching son’s death on social media

The mother of a man shot dead by Secret Service agents near the White House said she was shocked after…

1 hour ago

Why the federal government subpoenaed Hassan Pike and Medea Benjamin over trip to Cuba

Twitch streamer Hassan Pike CODEPINK co-founder Medea Benjamin was reportedly subpoenaed by U.S. federal authorities over her trip to Cuba…

2 hours ago

‘Gonna shoot her’: Luigi Mangione fan says she would kill her pharmacist mother if she became a healthcare executive

A woman defends Luigi Mangione and sparked outrage by claiming she would kill her mother if she became a health…

2 hours ago

Israel launches deadly attacks in southern and eastern Lebanon

Israel launched attacks in southern and eastern Lebanon on Sunday, even as Hezbollah leaders said they hoped for a deal…

3 hours ago

H1-B exemption? USCIS says some visa holders may not need to leave the U.S. to process green cards

Thousands of U.S. H1-B visa holders may no longer be automatically required to leave the country when applying for permanent…

4 hours ago