Categories: WORLD

US-Iran ceasefire agreement: From the Strait of Hormuz to nuclear negotiations – what to expect from the US-Iran 60-day ceasefire proposal

According to US media Axios, the United States and Iran are about to sign a proposed agreement that would extend the current ceasefire for 60 days, reopen the Strait of Hormuz, and allow Iran to resume oil exports while continuing negotiations on Tehran’s nuclear program.According to reports, the draft memorandum of understanding will allow ships to pass through the Strait of Hormuz free of charge for 60 days, while Iran will remove mines deployed in the waterway to resume shipping traffic.In return, the United States would lift blockades of Iranian ports and issue sanctions waivers that would allow Iran to sell its oil freely, Axios quoted a U.S. official as saying.The proposed deal would include talks on curbing Iran’s nuclear activities.

Highlights of the Proposed Transaction

Ceasefire extended for 60 days:

  • The United States and Iran will sign a 60-day memorandum of understanding (MOU) that can be extended if both sides agree.

Strait of Hormuz reopens:

  • Iran will reopen the Strait of Hormuz and clear mines deployed in the waterway to allow free passage for ships and oil tankers.

Free shipping:

  • Commercial ships will be allowed to pass through the strait without fees or restrictions.

The United States eases economic pressure:

  • In return, the United States would lift blockades of Iranian ports and issue sanctions waivers so Iran could freely export oil.

“Performance reduction” model:

  • The Trump administration will lift sanctions and unfreeze Iranian funds only after Tehran makes verifiable concessions.

Iran’s nuclear commitments:

Iran will commit to:

  • Never pursue nuclear weapons
  • Negotiate a moratorium on uranium enrichment
  • Discuss removing its stockpile of highly enriched uranium

Further nuclear talks during truce:

  • The two sides will continue to negotiate a broader nuclear deal and permanent lifting of sanctions within 60 days.

U.S. troops remain in the area temporarily:

  • U.S. troops deployed in recent months will remain in the Middle East during the negotiation phase and withdraw once a final deal is reached.

Israel-Hezbollah conflict ends:

  • The draft agreement reportedly includes an understanding that fighting between Israel and Lebanese Hezbollah will cease.

Israel reserves the right to take action against Hezbollah threats:

  • According to U.S. officials, Israel will still be allowed to respond if Hezbollah attempts to rearm or launch an attack.

Possible wider reset of relationships:

  • If Iran accepts Trump’s nuclear demands, the United States may move to restore economic ties and help Iran reintegrate economically.

Nuclear negotiations remain central

The proposed deal reportedly includes Iran’s pledge to never develop nuclear weapons and to negotiate a moratorium on uranium enrichment and the removal of its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.According to Axios, Iran has made verbal commitments through mediators on the concessions it may be willing to make on enrichment and nuclear materials.Previously, the New York Times quoted two U.S. officials as saying that a key element of the proposed deal was Tehran’s “obvious commitment” to give up its stockpile of highly enriched uranium.According to reports, details on how Iran will hand over its uranium stockpile will be discussed in the next round of nuclear negotiations. According to the International Atomic Energy Agency, Iran currently possesses approximately 970 pounds of uranium enriched to 60%.Iranian officials had earlier refused to include the uranium issue in the initial stages of negotiations and wanted to postpone it to later negotiations.

Trump says deal has been reached, Iran cautious

U.S. President Donald Trump said on Saturday that a “largely negotiated” peace memorandum was nearing completion and claimed that the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened under the agreement.“Final aspects and details of the agreement are currently being discussed and will be announced soon,” Trump wrote on Truth Social.However, Iran’s Fars News Agency disputed Trump’s claims about the strait, saying Iran would continue to manage the waterway and calling Trump’s remarks “inconsistent with reality.”“There are still issues that need to be discussed through mediators,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmail Baghay said, while stressing that Tehran’s top priority remained ending the threat of another U.S. attack and resolving the Lebanese conflict.

Pakistan-led mediation efforts

Pakistan has emerged as a key mediator in the negotiations. Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir recently met in Tehran with senior Iranian leaders, including senior negotiator Mohammad Bakr Qalibaf and Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi.Leaders from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Turkey and Pakistan backed the emerging framework in a call with Trump on Saturday.The proposed framework is expected to unfold in stages, starting with a formal end to the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz and launching a 30-day negotiating window to reach a broader nuclear deal.Axios further reported that the US troops mobilized in the area will continue to be deployed for 60 days and will only be withdrawn after a final agreement is reached.

Concerns about Israel and global oil markets

In a phone call with Trump, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu expressed concerns about parts of the proposed deal, particularly provisions related to ending Israel’s conflict with Lebanon’s Hezbollah, Axios reported.The agreement is closely watched globally as the Strait of Hormuz handles a major portion of global oil shipments. The closure of the waterway has severely disrupted global energy markets since the war began.Oil prices and routes remain volatile amid uncertainty over conflicts and negotiations.As part of the talks, Iran demanded that the United States end its blockade of shipping and lift sanctions.

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Recent Posts

Has Nasir Best threatened to kill Trump in the past? Laura Loomer Shares Suspect’s Post About Butler Assassination Attempt

Laura Loomer claimed on the X website that Nasire Best, a 21-year-old man, was shot dead by agents outside the…

17 minutes ago

Nancy Guthrie Update: Annie Guthrie’s message to Tommaso Cioni raises questions in kidnapping; ‘Who is Charlie?’

a passage purportedly taken from a book Anne Guthrie The story has resurfaced and fueled speculation in the high-profile kidnapping…

1 hour ago

‘Obsession with our nation’s most treasured building’: Trump reacts to White House shooting

US President Donald Trump on Sunday reacted to a recent shooting near "one of our most treasured buildings," praising the…

2 hours ago

Lake Belton Shooting Report: What Happened to BLORA at Fort Hood, Texas? first detail

Multiple reports on social media indicate shooting occurred in the Belton Lake area, an Army Corps of Engineers reservoir, TexasSaturday.…

2 hours ago

Russia attacks Ukrainian capital Kiev with missiles and drones, schools and residential buildings hit; 1 dead

On Sunday, May 24, 2026, a Russian missile attack in Kiev, Ukraine, exposed the interior of an apartment in a…

2 hours ago

Nancy Guthrie Update: Ex-FBI Agent Shares 4 Chilling Theories During Search, ‘Death at the Hands of Porch Guy…’

former fbi agent Jennifer CoffendaverA man who has been outspoken about the Nancy Guthrie case offered four possible explanations for…

3 hours ago