A man was shot and killed by a U.S. Secret Service agent Saturday night after President Donald Trump opened fire at a security checkpoint near the White House. The incident resulted in the area being cordoned off.
Officials said the suspect approached the checkpoint shortly after 6 p.m. local time and fired at police before being shot back. He was taken to hospital but later died. According to the New York Post, citing court records, the suspect is named Nasire Best and he believes he is Jesus.
The U.S. Secret Service said a bystander was injured. Authorities say U.S. President Donald Trump Not “affected”.
What do we know about the White House shooting?
Shooter walks around area before shooting – The incident occurred near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW, in White House Complex, 6 p.m. The suspect paced the area before approaching a Secret Service checkpoint, Bloomberg reported.
The gunman fired three shots – Then he Take out a pistol from your bag and began shooting at police officers stationed there, Bloomberg reported. He fired three shots, Fox News reported.
30 shots were fired and the gunman was hit – The Secret Service agent immediately returned fire, striking the gunman. About 30 shots were fired, said Chris Flanagan, anchor of local news channel DC News Now.
Earlier, officials said he was “emotionally depressed” after being shot, Reuters reported. He was taken to George Washington Hospital, where he later died. Authorities also confirmed that a bystander was shot.
Did the gunman believe he was Jesus? Nasire Best, 21, has been identified as the shooter Covered by multiple news media. He was reportedly known to authorities, who said he was emotionally disturbed and had previously been subject to a stay-away order from the area.
According to the New York Times, Best was previously detained and arrested for obstructing traffic near the White House and illegally entering by bypassing restricted security posts, and court records also showed erratic behavior. “[Best] Claiming he was Jesus Christ and he wanted to be arrested,” early court records of the incident said.
The U.S. Secret Service said it was investigating the incident, and FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed they were assisting. Metropolitan Police asked the public to avoid the area while security operations continue.
Site Lockdown and Emergency Response – After the shooting, the White House complex was placed on lockdown. Journalists and staff were moved to secure areas, including the press briefing room. ABC News reporter Selina Wang posted a video describing the “dozens of gunshots” she heard while she and others were hiding in a media tent. The area outside the White House was cordoned off with yellow tape, and investigators placed dozens of orange evidence markers on the sidewalk. According to the Associated Press, medical supplies such as gloves and first aid kits were available at the scene.
The incident occurred about two hours after Trump posted on The Truth Society that he was in the Oval Office working on a possible peace deal with Iran. Journalist Nick Sortor wrote on

