A deadly gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 90 people, and rescue operations are still underway as authorities crack down on illegal mining across the country, AFP reported in the country’s worst mining disaster in 17 years.The explosion occurred on Friday night at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi Province, China’s main coal-producing region. State media said 247 workers were underground at the time of the explosion and more than 120 others were taken to hospital for treatment.what happened to mineA gas explosion occurred at the Liushenyu coal mine in Shanxi province on Friday night, killing at least 90 people.State media said the explosion occurred at around 7:29 pm local time and that a total of 247 workers were underground.Authorities initially reported four people dead, but the death toll rose sharply overnight as rescue teams reached more areas of the mine.Rescue operations continueState broadcaster China Central Television said 123 injured workers were taken to hospitals, four of them in serious or serious condition.As of Saturday afternoon, 33 workers had been discharged from hospital after treatment, state media reported.A total of 755 first responders and medical personnel have been deployed as rescue operations continue at the scene.Survivors recall explosionInjured miner Wang Yong told CCTV that there was “a puff of smoke” before he smelled the smell of sulfur inside the mine.He said several workers were suffocated by the smoke before he lost consciousness during the incident.“I lay there for about an hour and then I woke up. I called the person next to me and we got out of the mine together,” Wang said.China orders crackdown, investigationChinese authorities launched what state media described as an “uncompromising” investigation into the bombings and vowed to punish those responsible “severely.”President Xi Jinping called for “all-out efforts” to treat the injured and ordered a thorough investigation into the incident.State media also said authorities had ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal mining practices, including falsification of safety data, unclear numbers of underground workers and illegal contracting activities.
An Indian man has been charged after Australian authorities discovered $5.6 million worth of pseudoephedrine in a food consignment in…
Sridhar Vembu was slammed on social media for urging Indians to leave the US as he reacted to the new…
A fire and two explosions broke out at a New York City shipyard on Friday, killing one person and injuring…
Uganda confirmed three new Ebola cases on Saturday, bringing the total number of infections in the country's current outbreak to…
Beneath the turbulent waters of southern China, something vast is slowly taking shape, far from public view but one that…
Five men were injured in a stabbing incident on a busy street in London's West End on Friday afternoon after…