Categories: WORLD

Are the UAE scared? Abu Dhabi joins Saudi Arabia, Qatar in urging Trump to oppose new Iran war amid fears of chaos in the Gulf

The United Arab Emirates joins Saudi Arabia and Qatar in urging U.S. President Donald Trump to avoid restarting military action against Iran and instead give diplomacy a chance, according to people familiar with the matter.The outreach reflects growing concerns among Gulf states that new hostilities could trigger fresh retaliation from Tehran and plunge the regional economy into chaos. In separate conversations with Trump, the leaders of three U.S. allies argued that military action would not achieve Washington’s long-term goals against Iran, people familiar with the matter said.The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment.The UAE’s stance marks a notable shift from a country that has taken a tougher stance against Tehran after suffering widespread damage in recent conflicts. Sources said the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Qatar were divided over what diplomatic arrangement the United States should reach with Iran and how much pressure Washington should exert on Tehran. However, all three Gulf states remain wary of a recurrence of the conflict that erupted in late February and lasted until a ceasefire was reached in early April.During the war, Iranian and Tehran-backed Iraqi militias launched thousands of drones and missiles across the Gulf, killing dozens and causing billions of dollars in damage to ports and energy infrastructure.“Gulf Arab states’ worst fears have come true,” said Dina Esfandiary, an analyst at Bloomberg Economics. “They are caught in the middle of a U.S.-Iran war and have suffered greatly. If the ceasefire is not converted into a permanent agreement, they now face the prospect of a new round of confrontation and their image as a stable regional haven is at risk.”Bloomberg News previously reported that the UAE is frustrated by the reluctance of Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states to collectively respond with force against Iran. Abu Dhabi reportedly coordinated limited strikes against Iran with the United States and Israel, while Saudi Arabia acted independently.Iran and the United States agreed to a ceasefire on April 8 and are currently exchanging information through Pakistan on a possible peace deal. However, both sides have warned that they are prepared to resume hostilities if negotiations fail.U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Friday that talks had made “mild progress,” while Iranian media also signaled movement toward a possible deal. Pakistan Army Chief Asim Munir is expected to visit Iran on the same day, which analysts believe is another sign that negotiations are progressing.Tensions between the UAE and other Gulf states escalated earlier this year when Abu Dhabi decided to withdraw from OPEC, the oil cartel led by Saudi Arabia. Relations between the six GCC members have since improved.“The UAE continues to coordinate and consult closely with GCC member states and regional and international partners,” the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement to Bloomberg.On the same day, all Gulf Cooperation Council members except Oman reportedly sent a letter to global shipping regulators rejecting Iran’s attempts to permanently control maritime traffic in the Strait of Hormuz. Tehran effectively closed the strategic waterway at the start of the conflict, disrupting oil and gas exports from Gulf states.Analysts say Iran and its allies retain substantial offensive capabilities despite military setbacks and the assassinations of several top commanders. A drone attack on a United Arab Emirates nuclear power plant on Sunday sparked concerns in an attack Abu Dhabi blamed on Iranian-backed militias operating in Iraq.A day later, Trump said he had spoken with Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan and Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, adding that they had convinced him not to attack Iran again.One source said some Gulf leaders were still unsure whether their calls would ultimately sway Washington and worried that Israel could still persuade Trump to resume attacks on Iran.Israel has deepened defense cooperation with the UAE since the conflict began and continues to view Iran as an existential threat. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has repeatedly said further military strikes may be needed to weaken Tehran’s capabilities.Anwar Gargash, a senior adviser to the UAE president, said on Friday that “the chances of us reaching a deal with Iran are 50-50.” “I worry that the Iranians always over-negotiate. I hope they don’t do that this time because the region really needs a political solution. A second round of military confrontation will only complicate matters. “Trump now faces growing pressure as the conflict continues to weigh on the U.S. economy and push up global energy prices following disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz. Although he initially vowed to destroy Iran’s ballistic missile program and hinted at regime change, the war has reportedly cost Washington tens of billions of dollars and has become increasingly unpopular at home.Saudi Arabia supports Pakistan-led mediation efforts and believes any resolution on Iran’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs must be negotiated, according to people familiar with the matter.Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are also said to be in favor of putting pressure on Tehran through naval restrictions and ensuring the Strait of Hormuz remains open to commercial traffic.Qatar continues to support Pakistan-led mediation efforts, with Qatari diplomats saying Doha has always advocated for a de-escalation of tensions “for the sake of the region and its people”.In a statement to Bloomberg, the UAE Foreign Ministry reiterated that any future deal must address Iran’s “full range of threats,” including its nuclear program, ballistic missiles, drones and “affiliated proxies and terrorist groups.”A Saudi foreign ministry official referred Bloomberg to a speech by Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud earlier this week, in which he said the kingdom “highly appreciates” Trump’s decision to “give diplomacy the opportunity to reach an acceptable agreement to end the war.”

WEB DESK TEAM

Our team of more than 15 experienced writers brings diverse perspectives, deep research, and on-the-ground insights to deliver accurate, timely, and engaging stories. From breaking news to in-depth analysis, they are committed to credibility, clarity, and responsible journalism across every category we cover.

Recent Posts

Kevin Warsh controversy: Trump’s Fed pick sworn in amid ‘puppet’ accusations and ethics concerns

Kevin Warsh has been sworn in as chairman of the Federal Reserve for a four-year term, putting him in a…

11 minutes ago

Massive, ridiculous: Immigration experts, foreign-born founders react to new green card rules

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has waived a new green card rule that would require people waiting for green cards…

37 minutes ago

Downtown Raleigh shooting update: What happened near the Wake County Courthouse in NC? What we know about suspects, victims

Two people were shot multiple times Friday morning near the Wake County Courthouse in downtown Raleigh, officials said.A shooting occurred…

1 hour ago

Apollo 12 crew sees mysterious ‘streaks of light’: new batch of UFO documents

USA Department of Defense Another set of previously confidential records related to the alleged crime was released Friday UFO sightingswhich…

2 hours ago

UK military air show Royal International Air Tattoo canceled amid Middle East conflict fears World News

One of the world's largest military air shows has been canceled as organizers cited uncertainty related to ongoing conflicts in…

2 hours ago

Indian man sentenced to 15.5 years in prison for gold fraud in US, found 16 gold bars from elderly victim

Indian man arrested in US for gold fraud and sentenced to 15.5 years in prison. Syed M Makki, a 38-year-old…

3 hours ago